Wheeler Trigg O'Donnell represents corporations, officers, directors, and other individuals in federal and state investigations and prosecutions. Our experience includes representing companies and individuals in matters involving:
- an overseas pharmaceutical manufacturer in connection with a court order based on allegations of systemic document destruction;
- an individual in connection with a complex securities investigation;
- regulatory, governmental and other enforcement actions;
- criminal complaints;
- grand jury subpoenas;
- accounting and securities practices;
- allegations of employee fraud or misconduct; and
- regulatory professional licensure.
Our primary goal in conducting internal investigations is to prevent enforcement actions or criminal investigations through the effective implementation of compliance programs and internal safeguards. Where our internal investigations have revealed gaps in a client's compliance procedures, we have successfully worked with them to rectify administrative lapses and to implement new policies, procedures, and safeguards to promote future compliance and avoid adverse actions.
We also provide legal representation to clients who are already the targets or subjects of criminal or parallel civil investigations.
We have conducted sensitive internal investigations for clients in numerous industries, including:
- financial institutions and investment firms;
- an international provider of after-market automotive parts;
- an international industrial painting contractor;
- a leading medical device company;
- a national real estate investment firm;
- a mountain resort company;
- one of the largest telecommunications companies in the country;
- a brand-name manufacturer of personal computers and printers;
- a global management consulting and technology services company;
- insurance companies; and
- hospitals, nursing homes, and other health care facilities.
The attorneys in our investigations / compliance group include a former assistant United States attorney, a former compliance attorney with the Colorado Department of Energy, several military prosecutors and judge advocates general, a former attorney regulation counsel, and a former judge of the Colorado Court of Appeals.