Michele Choe specializes in the defense of complex commercial actions in the fields of product liability and mass torts, as well as medical malpractice claims. To this end, she represents clients from the pharmaceutical, medical device, and healthcare industries in federal and state courts throughout the country, including multidistrict, pattern, and class-action litigation. Michele has handled fact witness depositions; Rule 30(b)(6) corporate witness depositions; expert witness retention, preparation, and depositions; Daubert and Frye briefing; oral arguments on various types of motions, including a successful appeal before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit (3-0 decision); multi-million document productions and privilege reviews, including productions to the U.S. Department of Justice and various Attorneys General; and has prepared numerous cases for trial. As recently as January 2012, Ms. Choe helped secure a complete defense verdict in a three-week multimillion-dollar medical malpractice lawsuit in Florida.
In addition to her regular practice, Michele has conducted several pre- and post-market investigations for pharmaceutical clients to minimize the possibility of liability exposure and adverse outcomes.
While at the University of Iowa College of Law, Michele served as Articles Editor of the Iowa Law Review, was named best oralist in the Van Oosterhout Moot Court Competition, and presented oral arguments in exhibition appellate proceedings before the full Iowa Supreme Court and judges from the Seventh and Eighth Circuits. Thereafter, she began her practice of law and clerked for the Honorable Donald P. Lay, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, 2004-2005.
Sidley Austin LLP
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (General Bar)
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- Colorado Rising Stars
- Personal Injury Defense, 2013
- Defense Research Institute
- Young Lawyer Co-Liaison to the Drug and Medical Device Committee, 2011-2012
- American Bar Association
- Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section Leadership Academy, 2012-2013
- Tort Trial &Insurance Practice Section, "TortSource" Editorial Board, Aug. 2013 - Aug. 2014
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Colorado
- American Bar Association
- Best Oralist, Van Oosterhout Moot Court Competition
Law Clerk to The Honorable Donald P. Lay, United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit