Evan's practice focuses on insurance, product liability, and personal injury trials and appeals. In each of these areas, Evan has secured outstanding results.
Evan's achievements for his clients include:
- Franklin D. Azar & Associates, PC v. Ferguson (Denver County District Court, Colorado, 2012), holding that the Azar firm's employment agreement impermissibly restricts the right of departing attorneys to practice law, and rejecting the Azar firm's claim that its "playbook" for litigating cases is a "trade secret."
- Century Surety Company v. ISA Construction, LLC et al. (Denver County District Court, Colorado, 2012), granting summary judgment in favor of Evan's client and holding that the client had no duty to defend or indemnify with respect to an ongoing construction-defect lawsuit.
- Allstate Insurance Company v. von Metzger, No. 10–cv–00863–PAB–CBS, 2011 WL 782831 (D. Colo. Feb. 28, 2011), granting summary judgment in favor of Evan's client based on an insurance policy's pollution and business exclusions.
- Allstate Property & Casualty Insurance Co. v. Salazar-Castro, No. 08–2110–CM, 2011 WL 1668966 (D. Kan. May 3, 2011), granting partial summary judgment to Evan's client and dismissing the opposing parties' affirmative defenses and their claims for underinsured motorist benefits. After a single day of trial, the defendants agreed to a stipulated judgment in Allstate's favor. Evan argued and won two key issues on the first day of trial that helped end the case in the client's favor.
- Cowan v. Stovall, 645 F.3d 815 (6th Cir. 2011), reversing the trial court's order dismissing the client's petition for habeas corpus.
- Snyder v. Zurich Am. Ins. Co. et al. (El Paso County District Court, Colorado 2011). In this insurance bad faith action, the court dismissed all claims against Evan's client and ordered the plaintiff to pay all of the clients' attorneys fees and costs. Evan's client won the case on a motion to dismiss without incurring any discovery costs.
- On behalf of a major insurer, Evan wrote the winning argument in support of an appeal to the Missouri Court of Appeals on a point of insurance policy interpretation of nationwide importance. The same issue had been lost by another law firm in the trial court.
- Obtained a dismissal with prejudice of all claims in a product liability action brought against a pharmaceutical manufacturer in Colorado state court. The plaintiffs walked away from the lawsuit and received nothing in settlement from Evan's client.
- Wrote a winning motion to dismiss all tort claims brought against a major truck maker in Colorado state court. The motion successfully argued that the economic loss doctrine barred the claiming party's tort claims.
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
Colorado Civil Justice League
Lawyer of the Year, 2011
Colorado Rising Stars
Insurance Coverage, 2012-2013
Law Week Colorado's Up-and-Coming Lawyers
Rex E. Lee Law Society
Law Clerk to The Honorable John Marshall Rogers, United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce
Member of the Health Care Committee